UPM’s Institutional Standing
Presently, it can be very hard to advance in an industry without proper educational qualifications. For one thing, even if you have the required qualifications, it may not be adequate if these qualifications are not from reputable institutions. Still, reputable institutions of higher learning offering degrees and diplomas covering a myriad of fields quite readily available. In so far as Malaysia is concerned, the country is fortunate enough to have several world class institutions which have become the source of local industry captains. In this respect UPM is ranked 229th in QS World University Rankings for 2017/2018 against 270th position in 2016/2017. Specifically this emplaces UPM among the top 1% of universities. Secondly UPM is ranked 49th in Asia University Ranking for 2016 - against 66th position. Thirdly, UPM is ranked 4th among the top universities in ASEAN. Finally UPM is in the world’s top 42 Best Global Universities for the Agricultural Sciences in 2016. That said, the commendable reputation of UPM is undoubted.
Travel Preparations to UPM
In all, there are 16 faculties and 10 research institutes in UPM. The array of faculties and research institutes encompass the following fields of study and concentrations: engineering, language and humanities, agriculture, food science, animal science, hard sciences, environmental and sport science, etc. Also, an important entity is the School of Graduate Studies, the prime purpose of which is to administer the university’s Masters and PhD level programmes. With the variety of offerings, prospective students enjoy a wide range of choices to pursue their studies. Needless to say, UPM provides top class facilities, lecturers and tutors. And to make campus life meaningful, enjoyable and enriching, opportunities for participation in sports, cultural events, tours and travel to local destinations are readily available. Having said all these, choosing UPM as your study destination is one decision that is well made, sound and a much, much worthy choice.
Preparation before Entering Malaysia
Foreign students who wish to study in Malaysia need to make the following preparations:
• First, you should download the offer letter from the applicant portal and apply for the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) at least six weeks before the registration date.
• Remember that the VAL is not the Student Pass, but it only grants you permission to enter Malaysia for further processing of your Student Pass by Malaysian Immigration Department.
• Second, download the Electronic Visa Approval Letter (eVAL) from the EMGS system and apply Single Entry Visa (SEV) at Malaysian Embassy overseas before entering Malaysia. However, if you are a citizen of a country that does not require a visa to enter Malaysia, you will be able to enter Malaysia provided you produce the VAL or eVAL at the point of entry and will get Visa On-arrival (VOA).
• You must arrive in Malaysia within the validity of the VAL, which is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance and registration period.
• If you do not enter Malaysia with SEV or VOA within the validity period of VAL, the Malaysian Immigration Department may not proceed with the student pass endorsement.
These are the basic steps that you should take in order to enter Malaysia. You can get more detailed information about the academic activities in UPM at http://www.sgs.upm.edu.my and more details on the preparations you should make before entering Malaysia from http://www.intl.upm.edu.my and https://educationmalaysia.gov.my/how-to-apply/new-students.html
Updated:: 13/06/2018 [azimin]
Sekolah Pengajian Siswazah
Universiti Putra Malaysia
43400 UPM Serdang
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia