UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA (UPM)
“Bridging Innovative Thinking and Knowledge for Human Capital Development”
What is Industrial PhD?
Industrial PhD offers an alternative route for industry practitioners who wish to pursue a doctorate degree without leaving their workplace. This programme is developed to encourage knowledge sharing among industry practitioners and academicians in producing highly knowledgeable professionals. This program aims at inspiring innovation and enhancing competitiveness at the industry via industry-based research through collaboration with UPM.
Industrial PhD features are:
- The focus of the research is based on industrial issues or problems;
- Joint supervision (at least one supervisor will be assigned from UPM and one from industry). The supervisor from industry must possess substantial experience or expertise in the areas related to the research topic;
- Research is conducted at the industry and candidates do not have to leave their work place;
- Supervision and monitoring process are similar to those practiced in a conventional PhD programme.
What are the fields of study offered for the programme?
There are wide ranges of fields of study available that students can choose from particularly in engineering, business and economics, agriculture, food technology, computer science, biotechnology and etc.
What is the duration of study of the programme?
The duration of study is 2 – 5 years.
How much is the programme fee?
Local students: RM5550.00 per semester / International students: RM8100.00 per semester.
What is the admission requirement for this programme?
- A Master’s degree or equivalent with CGPA of 3.00 and working experience in related field of at least 3 years. Please note that this programme is open to all nationalities and there are no age restrictions.
- For international candidates, they must fulfill the English Requirements as stipulated in this page
- The candidates must be currently employed by a private company and the employment status must remain active until completion of the programme.
- The candidates must obtain a written consent from the employer prior to joining the programme. The employer must also agree to provide sufficient funding to support the research activities conducted by the candidates at the workplace.
- Civil servant, private college/university staff are not eligible to apply
What is the application procedure?
To apply for the programme, please follow two (2) easy steps as below:
Step 1: Identify the supervisor at UPM and at your workplace for your PhD project
Step 2: Submit your application to UPM through the UPM online application system at http://sgsportal.upm.edu.my:8080/sgsportal/Admission/RegisterApplicant.jsp. Please note that the following documents must be uploaded when submission is made:
- A certified copy of Master degree certificate;
- A certified copy of Master degree transcript;
- A certified copy of Identification Card/Passport;
- A certified copy of TOEFL/IELTS result(s) – International candidates only
- Research proposal;
- Supporting letter from employer;
- Letter of scholarship/sponsorship award/proof of financial ability to pay fees to UPM;
- Passport-sized photograph.
- The proof of processing fee payment of RM60.00 (for local applicants) or USD60.00 (international applicants). For method of payment, please visit http://www.sgs.upm.edu.my/content/methods_of_payment-30092;
Note: For Online Application Guideline, please visit http://sgsportal.upm.edu.my:8080/sgsportal/guide/sgs.jsp.
What is the criteria for appointment of supervisor from the industry?
- Hold a senior position in the company/industry;
- The candidate must have good academic background with significant working experience in the related industry as follow:
- PhD holder; or
- Masters degree holder with minimum working experience of at least 5 years; or
- Bachelor degree holder with minimum working experience of at least 10 years.
How the programme is implemented?
- Students who are admitted to the PhD Industry program must meet all program requirements set by the UPM such as registration, compulsory courses, progress reports, comprehensive examination, thesis and publication requirements. The students must also meet the minimum residential requirement for at least one (1) month throughout the course of study;
- Students must pass all compulsory courses such as Research Methods, and Malay Language (international students only). The courses may be offered in an intensive mode.
- An industry expert will be appointed to be part of the Student Supervisory Committee. The person must meet the eligibility requirements determined by UPM. He also must have substantial experience or expertise in the area related to the research topics proposed by the student;
- The research project proposed by the students will be conducted at the industry and the students do not have to leave their work place;
- In order to ensure proper supervision are given to the students, the Student Supervisory Committee should always be in touch with the students either via electronic or face to face meeting. Supervisors from UPM will make regular visits to students' workplaces;
- The thesis examination (viva voce) of Industry PhD students will be conducted at UPM. The appointment of Thesis Examination Committee will be based on the regulations at UPM;
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) or Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) or Letter of Intent (LOI) will be signed between UPM, students and employers. The Faculty / Institute where the student is placed will be the anchor of the document.
For further enquiries, please contact:
Mr. Saiful Azlin Maskan
Senior Assistant Registrar
School of Graduate Studies,
Universiti Putra Malaysia,
Tel: +603-9769 4216
Updated:: 20/06/2019 [azimin]