Why should I choose UPM as a place to further my graduate studies?

UPM provides education of the highest quality and a vibrant environment for learning that ensures development at the cognitive, technical and affective levels, placing special attention to enhancement of soft skills or generic student attributes. The management and administration of graduate studies are certified by the MS ISO9001. The quality graduate education offered by UPM is reflected by the presence of more than 3,000 international students from more than 60 countries and they constitute more than 30 percent of the total postgraduate enrolment.

How do I apply for a postgraduate programme at UPM?

Application for postgraduate programme at UPM is via online at Prior to application for admission, prospective student is strongly advised to visit the website of School of Graduate Studies for more information at

When can I submit my application for admission to UPM?

Application for admission is open throughout the year and UPM offers 7 intakes per year according to three (3) different academic calendar i.e. Dual-semester for every October (First Semester) and March (Second Semester), trimester for every July, November and March and last but not least is session intake specially for Medical programme for every June and December. For more details, please refer to If you miss the closing date of application for admission into a semester, your application for admission is automatically transferred to the following semester.

What is the minimum academic admission requirement for Master’s or PhD programme in UPM?

Generally, UPM requires a CGPA of 3.00/4.00. However, admission into the programme is also subject to requirements specified by the faculty / institute (refer to the faculty’s / institute’s website)

I am in my final semester of undergraduate programme. Can I apply for admission for postgraduate study at UPM?

Yes. A final year student of undergraduate programme can apply provided his current CGPA meets the programme admission requirement.

How do I find a research supervisor for my study programme?

You can identify a potential research supervisor from the faculty’s or SGS’s website. There is a ‘List of Experts’ listed under each fields of study offered by the Faculty / Institute. If you are not able to identify a research supervisor, the faculty will assign one for you.

I have a Higher National Diploma (HND). Can I use this to apply for a Master’s programme at UPM?

No. UPM only accepts a Bachelor’s degree for Master’s programme.

I have received an offer letter to study at UPM next semester. Can I defer for one semester?

Yes. You can defer to the following semester by replying to the offer via online.

Can I defer my admission to next intake?

Yes.  You may defer the admission to the next incoming intake but not more than 2 semesters or 1 academic year. Otherwise, your offer status will be “REJECTED” and you need to submit a new application to get another offer.

I am an international student and I took an IELTS 6 years ago. Is the test score still valid to be used for my application for admission?

No. The validity period for IELTS or any other English Language Proficiency Test score which is equivalent to CEFR should not be more than 5 years.

I am an international student with a degree from a Malaysian university. Can I be exempted from English requirement for admission into postgraduate programme at UPM?

Yes. An applicant with a degree from any public / private university in Malaysia shall not be subject to the English language proficiency requirement.

I do not have any IELTS / TOEFL. Can I still apply to UPM?

Yes. If you meet the academic admission requirements, you will be granted a provisional offer letter. However, you still need to fulfill the English language requirement before you can register in the programme.

Can I take English programme at UPM if my IELTS / TOEFL does not meet the language requirement?

Yes. You can join the Postgraduate Intensive English programme at the Centre for the Advancement of Language Competence (CALC) or Certified Intensive English Programme (CIEP) at ELS Centre. For more information, please refer to this link:

How can I complete the registration as new postgraduate students?

Registration as new postgraduate students can be completed through PutraENROLL. The PutraENROLL will accessible to anyone who accepted our offer for the particular active semester. You are advised to refer to the registration guidelines and PutraENROLL user manual for the details.

I have arrived at UPM to register as a new postgraduate student, but I have not applied for VAL. Can I still register?

No. An international student must have a valid VAL to proceed with programme registration. You are advised to contact Putra International Centre for more information or refer to

I have just finished my Master’s programme in a Malaysian university and I have been offered a PhD programme at UPM. Do I need to go back to my home country to apply for VAL?

Generally, if you finish your Master’s programme less than 2 months before registration of PhD programme, you can proceed with the registration without leaving Malaysia. For more information, please refer to Putra International Centre at

Can a Masters student convert his study programme to PhD?

A Master's student who excels in his study can apply for a conversion to PhD programme after 2 semesters.

When can I get my semester result?

You may view your grades at your student portal after all courses being given grades, or two (2) weeks after the final examination of the courses. In the case where your marks/grades have not been keyed in within two (2) weeks after the final examination of the courses, you will be given grade as an N.

I am at the fifth semester of my study, is there any chance of postponing the Comprehensive Examination for PhD students?

Application to postpone the Comprehensive Examination must be made in writting.You must state your reason clearly, and the letter must be supported by your supervisor.All supporting documents must be attached.The letter is to be sent to Dean, School of Graduate Studies through the Faculty's/Institute's Graduate Studies Coordinator.

I want to apply for Review of Grade / Review Against Termination? What is the step to be followed?

First, you have to fill up the application form for Review of Grade (PU/S/BR04/GS-13a) (manual form) or Review Against Termination (PU/S/BR04/GS-13b) (online). Then, pay the processing fee (RM50 per course or per review) at the Bursar Counter, Ground Floor, Administration Building, UPM Serdang or online using CIMBClicks. Receipt of payment must be attached to your form for your application to be processed.

When can I get my letter of Award of Degree?

You may collect the letter after fourteen (14) working days from the date of the University Senate's endorsement. You must ensure that you have submitted the student Particulars for Graduation (PU/S/BR04/GS-17) form to the School of Graduate Studies. Only those who have settled their fee, and have returned all books to the Library (Perpustakaan Sultan Abdul Samad) will be given the Letter.

Where can I get information regarding Convocation?

We will upload the information in our website once the date and other details are received. We will also sent the invitation letter (mail and e-mail) to all listed graduands after the details have been finalised (usually it is about a month before the ceremony).

My name is listed for this year Convocation but can I postpone it to the next year Convocation?

You may apply for postponement by writing to the Head of Academic Division, 1st Floor, Administration Building, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia.

Can I join the Convocation after collecting of the degree certificate?

Yes you can. All you need to do is return the degree certificate when you collect the academic regalia for the Convocation.

I misplaced my degree certificate, can I get a new one?

Yes, you may get a copy of your degree Certificate under the following the CONDITIONS (The copy is to be collected at the SGS Counter on working hours only) :

  • A black and white photocopy of the certificate: Send an e-mail to the Academic Unit (, requesting for a black and white photocopy of your degree certificate that has a 'Certified True Copy' stamp on it. The copy is to be collected at the SGS Counter on working hours only.
  • Original copy of the degree certificate: Lodge a police report regarding the loss of your degree certificate. A fee of RM 500 will be imposed to re-print the certificate. Please attach the payment proof and a copy of the police report when submitting your application for reprinting. The payment should be made to the following account: KIRA-KIRA AM UPM (CIMB) - NO. AKAUN: 80-0215196-3

    I need extra copies of the Academic Transcript. How to go about it?

    Write a letter or e-mail to Assistant Registrar of the Academic Record and Graduation Unit stating the no. of copies required. The application must be accompanied by a receipt of processing fee. The amount to be paid is RM10.00 per copy.

    Can I change name in my degree certificate?

    Yes, you may change your name in the degree certificate under the following the CONDITIONS :

    1. Your application will be process after get the approval from JKKPPTL meeting.
    2. The Original copy of the degree certificate must be returned to the Academic Unit, School of Graduate Studies.
    3. A fee of RM 500 will be imposed to re-print the certificate.

    Do you offer scholarships or academic assistantships?

    UPM, being a Research University, awards assistantship to all qualified Malaysian candidates, especially those who register for their PhD degree. A limited number of assistantships is also awarded to academically excellent international students on a competitive basis. The assistantships usually covers tuition fee and a monthly stipend for up to six semesters depending on the study programme. For further information on financial assistance & scholarships, please go to

    Updated:: 15/11/2023 [aslamiah]

    Universiti Putra Malaysia
    43400 UPM Serdang
    Selangor Darul Ehsan
    03-9769 4225